Sunday, February 12, 2006

What if the cartoon's were of the Sikh Gurus

In the last week there has been a lot in the news about the cartoons that have offended Muslims and how Muslims have reacted to the cartoons

I was wondering about what would happen if the cartoons offended Sikh's. How would we react? Would we put up slogans saying 'Behead the people who made the cartoons'. Would we protest peacefully or violently?

I am not sure what we would do. From a personal stand point I can understand why Muslims are offended, I would feel the same. However I feel that the banners and violence that has occured recently have detracted from the main issue and moved the focus to the the reaction of the cartoon rather than the cartoons themselves.

Some people say that the cartoons wouldn't have been such a big issue and wouldn't have stayed in the media spotlight for so long, if all the protest were peaceful. I can understand were they are coming from but it still doesn't justify the violence.

I think I would protest in some form or another but I wouldn't be violent. Afterall we have been taught that violence should be a last resort.

To be fair, alot of the protest have been peaceful but as in many cases the minority of protests, that have been violent, get the most exposure.

1 comment:

Mr Singh said...

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I think that we would protest. Not because we think that the picture/cartoon is the actual physical representation of our beloved guru sahib, but because, its the name of our beloved guru sahib which is being insulted.

And ofcourse the protest would be peaceful. You can only fight darkness with light.

Its very sad though, that such cartoons have been made. Free speach should be allowed, but not when you start making fun of another person's faith and belief. A faith and belief, many people hold dearer than their own lives.

Btw, nice blog ji. Keep it up

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh