Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Hot and Cold foods

As a child, whenever I used to get ill, my mum always used to say eat so and so food because it is garam (hot) or eat this food because it is tanda (cold).

Depending on the ailment she would suggest garam or tanda food. When she talked about hot and cold she wasn't talking about the temperature of the food, rather she was talking about another property of the food.

As I grew up I realised it was something to do with maintaining the balance in your body. For example if your ailment was classed as a cold ailment then you were required to eat a garam food to reduce the affect of the cold ailment.

Your body can also be more inclined to hot or cold food because of it's own balance

Hot foods include the following:

Grapes
Nuts
Ginger

Cold foods include the following (from memory):

Cucumber
Potatoes

I have recently started to do some research in the area and have found out that it is all about Ayurveda and things called Pitta, Vata and Kapha. I will try to post the research as I go along.

I am currently compiling a list of garam and tande foods with the help of my mum and also my wife. I will be developing a website that will list the foods in categories of hot and cold.

No comments: