Tuesday, March 20, 2007

How to get up earlier in the morning

During the last few weeks I have been trying to get up earlier in the morning.

Unfortunately I have been failing miserably.

The pattern seems to be as follows. Every night I tell myself that I will wake up earlier so that I can do things like Path or finish off things that I didn't finish during the evening / night. I set my alarm for 6:00am. During the night I wake up at various times during the night, usually about 3:00am. My mind tells me that it is too early to get up and I go back to sleep. Then I wake up again around about 6:00am. I look at the clock and think of a million different reasons to stay in bed. I go back to sleep.

I eventually wake up at 7:30am - 7:45am, just enough time to get me to work before 9:00am.

So why is it that I can't get up early to do my own work but can get up when I know I have to get up for my job.

I have talked about this with my brother and cousins (Nandeep & Juggy).

I think the main strategy is to get up as soon as you wake up, this should stop the discussion that you have with yourself about the pros and cons of getting up, and to do something productive with the extra time that you have.

The few times I have managed to get up earlier, I do feel much more awake. It is just that it hasn't happened enough.

Many people say that there is something special about waking up early. They seem to be more connected to God and the Universe at that time. (Between 3:00am and 6:00am is generally considered to be Amrit Vela in many religions including Sikhism).

If anybody has any tips for getting up earlier then please let me know

3 comments:

Mr. Singh said...

i agree it is very difficult getting up for amrit vela. As always it is a case of controlling the mind, which is telling you to go back to sleep.Man jeet Jag jeet - conquer the mind, and you have conquered the world.

I think you should try getting up when you initially wake up - around 3am. This marks the beginning of the last pahar of the night.

btw, your link to my site in your post above isn't working as you've typed in the wrong address.

Conqueror of the world said...

Like I am sure you have read, getting up at Amritvela is like fighting a Tiger. We are not in India where the Granthi can be heard on the speaker, so you have no choice but to wake up!

They say getting up for amritvela also depends on your karam and your recent actions. I find this true with myself, when I have had days where my actions have overall been wrong, the following morning I will not get out of bed for amrit vela. Its like god is saying, you messed up yesterday, so you dont deserve to get up and meditate on me, sorry son try again today. Suppose the lesson is dont give up and the Guru Gobind Singh will be fighting that Tiger for you. Its just a shame we cant see him fighting the tiger! Hope that makes sense?

Sony said...

Thanks for your insight on the subject.

Ahh the memories... of the Giani's in India trying to get everybody up at 4:00am in the morning.

I suppose every day is another chance to get up early and I should stop thinking about getting up early and just get up.

"Stop trying to get up and get up"
- Modified Matrix Quote